Tuesday 21 June 2011

CPD23 - Thing one

My poor poor neglected blog! It seems I started out with good itentions but 'stuff' always seemed to get in the way and I never set aside a specific time to blog - until NOW!

I attended the #NPC2011 yesterday. It was great to catch up with people from library school and from when I was a graduate trainee. It was, of course, also great to meet new people and learn lots of exciting things. One of which was how we should embrace our career deveopment and how it is up to us to make the most of what we've got.

Hence the reason why I'm here. The past 12 months has been crazy. I've moved back home (scary), started a new job (even scarier), finished my MA dissertation (no mean feat), and a lot more besides but I've never really sat back and thought about what I've done and how it has helped/hindered my professional development.

Helen's presentation really hit home how I need to embrace CPD, maybe even go as far as mentioning the scary 'chartership' word and learn the skills which will make me (more) useful. I'm really looking forward to taking part in CPD23 and hope to learn lots of things I didn't know before and to learn new stuff about things I do know a little about.

I'm going to 'try' and slot in other blog posts inbetween posts about CPD23 in an attampt to make blogging a regular thing in my life, I just hope the dredded 'stuff' doesn't crop up again!

See you for Thing 2 :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm hoping CPD 23 will be the required kick up the backside I need! Just need to remember it's blog URL now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, I was interested in your first post, back in September. How does the situation now compare with what you found then? I hope you are enjoying your student librarians; I find them great fun (my school is 9-13s only), and vital at lunchtimes.
    CPD23 is full of Things I know I should already be doing (I've been to enough presentations & conferences!) - I hope this will be the big push.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi RuthM. Like rbjensen, I was wondering how your first year has been. I know it's really hard to make time for reflection - I'm hoping this blog will help me do that more regularly. I started off in school libraries a bit north of you at Brampton. Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth, I hope your first year working in school. I also work as a school librarian and found my first year to be a huge learning curve. You are right looking at cpd as it is so important so do embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth
    I'm just starting out on CPD23 and my first forays into blogging. I'm checking you out as part of Thing 2!

    ReplyDelete